Wednesday, December 7, 2011

December Post

"I think we all have a little voice inside us that will guide us...if we shut out all the noise and clutter from our lives and listen to that voice, it will tell us the right thing to do."  Christopher Reeve


For Christians this time of year finds us between two holidays. We have just finished remembering Thanksgiving, and are about to celebrate the advent- the coming of God into the world and our lives. Perhaps we have it backwards when we are thankful & then enters God. Or perhaps we have it right. Maybe something about being grateful opens our hearts to God's involvement. I've noticed that there is something about remembering what I'm thankful for that brings a good feeling to my heart.  Maybe being thankful is also a way of expressing trust in God, and making space in my heart for Him to further His work on me.


One way to think of God entering our lives is as Christopher Reeve suggests.  That God is a "little voice" inside us that we may or may not listen to.  It's easier for me to just react impulsively and without reflection.  I'm aware of several things that I do that keeps me from hearing that little voice.  When I'm continuously busy or caught up in task I don't hear too well.  I also don't hear well when I'm afraid.  For me, fear seems to muffle the little voice.  However, I find that it works out better for me when I pause and listen to the voice within.  

No comments:

Post a Comment