Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Post

"It isn't that they can't see the solution.  It is that they can't see the problem."  GK Chesterton

We tend to focus quickly on the solution, having barely paused to consider the problem.  Few of us spend too much time pondering the problem.  I find that patient reflection on myself yields me knowing myself better, and leaves me more able to find the natural solution.

I can think of many times I've impulsively jumped to a quick response, only to later regret that I hadn't stopped to allow some space to ponder.  I remember one time I was standing in line for lunch at a fast-food restaurant.  It seemed to be taking forever for the 5 or 6 people in front of me to move.  I looked around to see who was setting up a campsite at the front of the line.  A young guy in his 20s was at the front of the line.  I rolled my eyes and went back to tapping my foot in line.  Several minutes later I looked up to see the same young guy at the front of the line.  Exasperated, I decided to say something to move things along.  Just as I took a deep breath to bark at this guy, something inside me told me to hold off.  I let out my breath without speaking, and a moment later the young guy finished his transaction and turned towards me to leave.  By the look on his face, he was mentally retarded.  My impatience melted away.  I thanked God I hadn't said anything stupid, as I would have felt like a jerk if I had barked at this retarded man, probably doing the best he could.

I believe we allow the still, small voice of God within us the best chance of being heard when we stop and reflect on a problem, quieting our minds long enough to hear from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment